Skip to main content

Microsoft PowerPivot Configuration tool uses MSMDSRV.INI to see if PowerPivot System Service is installed

With SQL Server 2012 Microsoft released a new tool to help integrating  PowerPivot into the SharePoint environment. This tool - PowerPivot Configuration Tool - register among others the PowerPivot System Service on the local computer and creates the cube for the PowerPivot Management Console. 

Besides all that it creates a SharePoint Library on the SharePoint Central Administration site with PowerPivot Excel files for each available language. These file connects to a central PowerPivot Excel file that acts as a kind of hub for the data stored in the PowerPivot Management Console cube on Analysis services.

Recently I had some issues with an installation of PowerPivot. The PowerPivot Management Console gave a red cross, and though this feature is well documented on powerpivotgeek.com this did not work for me. I think due to the fact that my installation is on SQL Server 2012. 

So I deleted the Default PowerPivot Service Application and created a new one hoping that this would resolve the issue. That for SharePoint normal action got me into serious PowerPivot trouble. What actually happened is that the central PowerPivot Excel file turned out to be connecting to the old PowerPivot Management Console cube on the Analysis Service. This cube was read-only and it connected to the old Default PowerPivot Service Application database in SharePoint that of cause no longer exists. If I tried to process the PowerPivot Management Console cube to refresh the data it gave an error.

I resolved this issue by detaching the cube and attaching it again not choosing the Read-Only parameter. Then I could connect to the correct PowerPivot Service Application Database. Now the cube processed, but I still had the red cross in the PowerPivot Management Console. The PowerPivot gallery on the PowerPivot site continue to run normally.

So I went back to the beginning, de-connected all the servers from the farm and deleted all SharePoint databases from the database server. Rebuild the farm from scratch. I remembered I got directly an error in SharePoint telling me that Analysis Services is not running in the correct mode and that the DeploymentMode should be changed to Tabular (=2 and Multi Dimensional = 1) so I changed in the MSMDSRV.INI before I started the PowerPivot Configuration Tool. 

Everything seems to install correctly but what I did not notice is that the step registering the PowerPivot System Service on the local computer was missing. When I find out that it was it was already too late because the PowerPivot Management Console showed again the red cross but now there was no PowerPivot Management Console cube in the Analysis Services. 

I changed the settings of the PowerPivot Configuration Tool so it showed me all the steps that were hidden and it showed me that the PowerPivot System Service was already registered on the local computer. So I deleted all the configuration files of the PowerPivot Configuration tool and searched in the SharePoint directory for configuration files and tried it again. It stayed already registered. 

So I de-installed all the PowerPivot features from the farm, deleted the farm and setup a new farm and farm databases. After I ran the PowerPivot Configuration tool again the PowerPivot System Service on the local computer stayed registered. 

So I created 2 completely new VM's and created a new farm and again gave SharePoint a hand by setting the value to 2. I am always willing to give a hand to prevent an SharePoint error (not alone because there are so much SharePoint errors). Who is not?

New install and the PowerPivot System Service on the local computer step was missing!!!! Getting suspicious I set reset the DeploymentMode in the MSMDSRV.INI to 1 (= default). 

Rerun the PowerPivot Configuration tool and BINGO, there was the missing son. 

So I think a Microsoft developer (probably a SharePoint one because they are bad developers) just kind of did some quick and dirty coding using the DeploymentMode value in the MSMDSRV.INI as a trigger for his installation progress. Of cause he could use the SQL Server libraries but hé that would mean a whole lot of additional coding and who used that PowerPivot shit anyway in SharePoint? he/she might have thought. 

If it was up to me this Microsoft developer (or the whole team) is now searching for a new job and he/she or they will not get a recommandation letter. 

Microsoft, you have to rewrite the PowerPivot Configuration Tool into a descent installer package that correctly installs and uninstall the PowerPivot possibilities on a SharePoint site. 

And if I where you I would also take a look at the new installation for Reporting Services 2012 setup. Yes, I bet it is done by the same developer(s).

Roger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Privacy and the liberty to express yourself on LinkedIn

Unaware that LinkedIn has such a strong filtering policy that it does not allow me posting a completely innocent post on a Chinese extreme photography website I tried to post the following: "As an Mpx lover I was suprised to find out that the M from Million is now replaced by the B from Billion. This picture is 24 Bpx! Yes you read this well, 24 billion pixels.  Searching on the picture I stumbled on a fellow Nikon lover. If you want to search for him yourself you can find him here: http://www.bigpixel.cn/t/5834170785f26b37002af46a " In my eyes nothing is wrong with this post, but LinkedIn considers it as offending. I changed the lover words, but I could not post it.  Even taking a picture and post it will not let this pass:  Or my critical post on LinkedIn crazy posting policy: it will not pass and I cannot post it.  The technology LinkedIn shows here is an example what to expect in the near future.  Newspapers will have a unified reporting using

Windows Server 2016 with ... XBox extensions !!!

Microsoft must have been thinking that the live of a Windows administrator gets so boring that they need a distraction and they have integrated the XBox Live extensions standard in Windows Server 2016.  No kidding: take a look. I did not select it as a feature and it is there. As you can see the XBox Live service is started automatically even in mode manual (see error log).  To my opinion these 3 XBox Live services should never be available on a server. Unless the server is part of the XBox Live platform of cause but honestly I don't think that Microsoft will allow that.  Every IT manager with a serious Windows production environment would fire any administrator playing XBox Live on the production servers. So though it might be tempting don't do it Windows administrator. It is a trap! :-)

How to run SQL Server 2016 with In-Databasse R on Windows 2016 CTP5

For those who like me tried to run SQL Server 2016 with In-Database R might have run into the same problem as me: In-Database R or the LaunchPad service gives a timeout and won't start. I did several clean installations with different configuration options - for instance I like to put my data on another disk than the system disk - but in the end I tried to do the next, next, next, finish install to see if it something in the setup options is hard coded in there (yes, it happens developers!). For some reason this problem is related to Windows 2016 and not on Windows 2012R2 and I hope the SQL Server team will soon resolve these issues because they are in one word a bit sloppy.  There are 2 issues (maybe even 3 so I give this one also):  The R setup does not create the ExtensibilityLog directory in the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL13.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log" directory The R setup sets the number of users in the SQL Server Launchpad service to 0 it is pos